Q:

If the probability that a bird will lay an egg is 75%, the probability that the egg will hatch is 50%, and the probability that the chick will be eaten by a snake before it fledges is 20%, what is the probability that a parent will have progeny that survive to adulthood?(A) 30%(B) 14.5%(C) 7.5%(D) 2%

Accepted Solution

A:
Answer: (A) 30%Step-by-step explanation:Given : The probability that a bird will lay an egg =0.75The probability that the egg will hatch  =0.50Now, the probability that the egg will lay an egg and hatch = [tex]0.75\times0.50[/tex]Also,The probability that the chick will be eaten by a snake before it fledges =0.20Then, the probability that the chick will not  be eaten by a snake before it fledges : 1-0.20=0.80Now, the probability that a parent will have progeny that survive to adulthood will be :-[tex]0.75\times0.50\times0.80=0.30=30\%[/tex]Hence, the probability that a parent will have progeny that survive to adulthood =  30%